assistance program under a 3 billion mark facility and liquidation of loans granted from other funds27. Special State Funds established by statutes or as a result of the govern- ment s regulations, were aimed at supporting agriculture and parceling out and settle- ment campaigns. These funds were managed by state authorities that had them in their budgets. Most of them were established during the first years after Poland regained independence. The government s intention was to provide farmers with broad access to loans for construction and equipping the farms damaged by the war. Later on, the funds were earmarked for: assistance to farms affected by natural disasters, financial support for aggregation of land, reconstruction of farms, development of husbandry and agricul- tural irrigation.
Organization of PBR
At the beginning of 1922, the bank s management was appointed and the supervisory board was constituted, headed by Franciszek Stefczyk28. In the first years of PBR s operations, the management was composed of: director general Leopold Hebda, replaced in 1924 by Wacław Staniszewski, Witold Moritz deputy director general and director of long-term loans and branches, Eugeniusz Grado director of the banking department and the small loan division, Józef Ścięgosz director of the agrarian department and Stanisław Rachwał director of the administered funds department and personnel division29. The supervi- sory board, in turn, was composed of: Franciszek Bujak, supervisory board chairman and Seweryn Ludkiewicz his deputy; supervisory board members: Józef Bek, Stefan Bogusze- wski, Stefan Królikowski, Adam Krzyżanowski, Stanisław Pawłowicz, Czesław Skotnicki, Juliusz Trzciński and Eugeniusz Żelechowski; deputies: Michał Danyluk, Jan Donimirski and Romuald Węckowicz. In addition, the commissioner of the State Minister was Wilhelm Turteltaub, and of the Minister of Agricultural Reforms Michał Jankowski30. Initially PBR s activity was limited to the head office in Warsaw and a branch Poznań, Vilnius and Lviv. The working conditions were similarly modest. In 1924 the bank s offices in Warsaw were located in three different locations31. Thanks to the government s good will the bank s new seat in Warsaw was built. The monumental building designed by Marian Lalewicz was erected in 1926-1927 on Nowogrodzka Street. It had the surface area of 40 thousand sqm. In subsequent years further offices of the bank were built: in Łuck, Gdynia, Poznań and Grudziądz32. In 1938, PBR had not only modern infrastructure, but also an extensive branch network. In addition to the bank s head office in Warsaw, there were branches in:
27. PBR s Report until 1 January 1922, op. cit., p. 4-5.
28. Franciszek Stefczyk discharged his function as supervisory board chairman until his death on 30 June 1924. Report of Państwowy Bank Rolny (PBR) for 1924, Warsaw 1925, p. 2.
29. PBR Report for 1924, Warsaw 1925, p. 39. PBR Report for 1925, Warsaw 1926, p. 53.
30. PBR Report for 1926, Warsaw 1927, p. 5.
31. PBR Report for 1924, Warsaw 1925, p. 40.
32. PBR Report for 1925, Warsaw 1926, p. 56. PBR Report for 1926, Warsaw 1927, p. 69. PBR Report for 1929, Warsaw 1930, p. 53.
98 T H E H I S T O R Y O F B G Z